Friday, November 05, 2010

Dell, TATI reference?! I must say, I'm impressed.


I recently built my own computer, which has freed me from the shackles of buying one from Dell, but I have to hand it to them on this ad for their Tablet/Smartphone "The Streak". I saw this the other night and while it isn't the snappiest ad ever,  I give them MASSIVE amounts of credits for referencing, or ripping off, one of my favorite films of all time... Playtime.



  It nods to most of the work of Jacques Tati, but my mind instantly went to Playtime which is the story of a man trapped in a modern, urban, nightmare (it's a comedy).  I highly suggest you pick it up and watch it.  It is slow, and there is not much of a plot, nor dialogue, but it's beautiful and brilliant, and a must see for anyone in love with modern design.  Oh, and the director also BUILT A CITY to make the movie.

Here is an ok trailer for the film, but it gives you an idea.


That is all.

No it's not... The title of the commercial is called "Rendezvous" which may, or may not be a reference to this...  C'etait un Rendezvous.  The most badass, mother loving, car film ever shot.


-GD

No comments: