Wednesday, October 07, 2009

MUSIC FROM THE COOLEST GUY IN THE INTERNET



Over on io9, commenter Gods-n-Clods kindly gave me the title of "Coolest Person in the Internet" something that I really take to heart. Though I was shocked to learn that it wasn't just my massive body of incredible work that caught me on his radar, but rather a while ago when I suggested some music that he then got really into. This made me really happy.

I love music. I have a shit ton of LP's and thousands of mp3's. I still have a handful of CD's that I just love and won't (or can't) get rid of, but at this point I don't see why you'd buy new one. Regardless, I feel that I have excellent taste in music, but I know that this is a feeling shared by almost anyone who listens to music so I don't pay it much mind. I am happy when my tastes are confirmed by outside sources like Gods-n-Clods, and the new army of Incredible Bongo Band fans that are out there after the 2012:Disaster trailer. I have no interest in this becoming a music blog, but I figure every so often I'll pass along some things I really love. Beginning today.

I do want to let you know that

A: I don't really do too much mainstream stuff, but I loathe Indie Rock.
and
B: I don't do "ironic". If I'm listening to something it's because I really like it and think it is worthwhile. I spent enough time in High School and college listening to things I thought were cute in order to get attention and look cool.


This brings me to my first recommendation. Montée. There are plenty of bands out there riding the new 80's synth rebirth, but too many of them seem content with doing it with their tongues planted firmly in their cheeks as they hold a copy of Vice magazine for reference to the now. Personally, I want people who are going to take the work spearheaded by people like Brian Eno, Giorgio Moroder and to a certain extent Toto, and filter it through a couple decades worth of musical advancement, not just copy a Casio Sound. Montée nails this on their album "Isle of Now". Of course they aren't American, they're Norwegian which means even if they are kidding, you can't tell.
From what I can cobble together from the limited info on the web they are a sort of Hardcore/punk/Industrial/Experimental/who knows supergroup that decided to make an album that makes a big shift from all those sounds. I could go into trying to describe what it sounds like but I'd probably fall flat. Is Epic Soft Rock a genre?

Let me put it this way. It's 5 years after the apocalypse, you and your lover have survived the cataclysm, the marauders, starvation and now are two of the few people left on earth. As you travel in your convertible through deserts, or on a sailboat through the silent waters of the planet are you going to only listen to "Kill 'em All". Nah, you'll need this album.



SONGS-(let me know if you will actually listen to these here or if in the future I should just file link you to a couple of tracks)

ISLE OF NOW:

ASCEND:

-GD

4 comments:

L'Emmerdeur said...

Where do you find this stuff? You are like my sister, somehow tied via umbilical to a fountain of musical awesomeness we mortals may never perceive.

Don said...

Dude. Completely awesome. Please keep the music recommendations coming.

Jonathan said...

Holy smokes, I should have been reading your blog regularly... here I am, noodlin' through your older posts, and I see your "Coolest Guy In The Internet" award.
For better or worse, it was I who donned you that... I'm pulling off the cowl and the BatBoy mask (then grab your lapels and hiss, "I'm g-n-c!").
I'm flattered that you were flattered, so I'll show you mine since you've shown me yours!
Please check out my website, and feel free to say hello any time.

Jonathan said...

-crown-. I meant crowned you. Clever comment fail.
it's late.